[OSM-talk] Revert requests in general

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 00:46:05 BST 2010

On 7 August 2010 08:27, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's different because the FBI is quite obviously wrong. There is a law
> that says they are wrong.

The FBI are asserting they're right, and wikimedia are asserting
they're right, it's up to a court to be the adjudicator.

> Almost any complaint that someone might bring against OSM would be a brand
> spanking new, precedent-less, law-less (there aren't clear laws about data
> rights) suit. We don't want to be groundbreaking when it comes to data
> copyright court cases, I don't think.

I'm not saying we should, but it seems to me Steve's intentions to
concede at the first sign of trouble would make OSM(F) appear weak and
so anyone could abuse OSM's license because we don't have the ability
to defend or protect ourselves.

This is the sort of thing that might lead to death by 1000 cuts type situation.