[OSM-talk] Frederik declares war on data imports...

Dirk-Lüder Kreie osm-list at deelkar.net
Sun Aug 8 16:27:49 BST 2010

Am 08.08.2010 16:59, schrieb John Smith:
> On 9 August 2010 00:58, Erik Johansson <emj at kth.se> wrote:
>> Australia 2 people per km^2
>> Sweden 21 people per km^2
>
> Canada is ~3 people per km^2...

You seem to forget that the most interesting Data (to most people) is
also where the people are.
Forests, lakes, shorelines and many more features can all be mapped from
NASA sat imagery and put unter any license, even PD.

So I don't think OSM Contributor effort will result in "second best"
Data *at* *all*.

For example: Germany does have very good geodata from the state, just
that those maps are not available to OSM, so we are mapping Germany
ourselves. The Netherlands (even more densely populated btw.) had most
of their data imported.
Has this damaged the German OSM mapping effort? Not at all. I would
rather argue that the AND import has hindered OSM community growth in NL.

So even if you lose data, it's not really that big an issue, provided
you come up with a way to save work done by OSM Mappers wherever possible.

With enough (motivated) people we can take any data loss, and rebuild
our database to be better within a short timeframe.

It may sound arrogant, but if you look at it rationally, we could even
compensate for mappers demotivated by any data loss by the growth of our
community.
I'm not saying we can easily afford it, but to give hope that even a
worst case scenario isn't that bad as some people make it out to be.

--

Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E