[OSM-talk] Frederik declares war on data imports...

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 17:23:18 BST 2010

On 9 August 2010 02:03, Robert Kaiser <kairo at kairo.at> wrote:
> Well, here in Austria, we lack contributors in areas where we had a (80%
> botched) import of some existing data, and the community is thriving in
> those areas where we didn't have an import. Interesting, isn't it?

The problem here isn't imports, if anything the few imports we have
had helped make the map less blank where fewer people map, which isn't
the same thing as fewer people living.

> I'm not trying to say that imports are generally bad, but community growth
> usually happens best in the areas that have a lot of emptiness on the map
> but enough help for beginners to get their mapping going well.

Here the most growth happened in cities and other areas where there is
aerial imagery, we didn't have any road data to import, but that
doesn't mean the other data that was imported was less useful, it
helped with natural features like rivers and man made ones like
railways in places.