[OSM-talk] Frederik declares war on data imports...

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Aug 8 22:01:20 BST 2010

On Mon, 9 Aug 2010, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I don't see any reason for an outcry other than this might make the
> coastline less precise for a while. Chances are it is going to be fixed
> very quickly in areas with Yahoo imagery, and might retain some of the
> typical "blockiness" of the PGS import in wilderness areas.

If you knew what you were talking about I might be more patient.
Yahoo imagery in high definition covers an extremely small proportion of
Australia.
Landsat imagery is better than Yahoo imagery in low definition, and it isn't
much good either.

check this
http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/numeracy/tutorial/cts1.htm
With PGS you get the least accurate coastline
and we got the more accurate one from Geoscience Australia
http://www.ga.gov.au/education/geoscience-basics/dimensions/coastline-
lengths.jsp

and then further work has gone into this from high resolution aerial
photography.

But the coastline is not the total of the imported data.
Something like a quarter of the data for the entire continent has attribution
markers on it (I didn't do the maths, and it may have been closer to one
third)