[OSM-talk] Frederik declares war on data imports...

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Aug 9 22:52:44 BST 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:30 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10 August 2010 07:25, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> they do. and it's in the contributor terms: "ODbL 1.0 for the database
>>> and DbCL 1.0 for the individual contents of the database". the
>>> database is attribution and share-alike. the contents, as facts, hold
>>> no copyright - so copyright law can't be used to enforce attribution
>>
>> But the contents aren't just facts, especially when it comes to
>> subjective tags like smoothness...
>
> it's great that you think that, but many lawyers think otherwise. in
> any case, they'll be just facts if someone strips the smoothness tags
> out.
>
> wouldn't you prefer to protect the *whole* database?

Can we get a collection of quotes from those lawyers that you say
"think otherwise"?  Exact quotes of what they said?

Also an example of licenses which distinguish "the whole database"
from "the individual contents of the database" would be helpful.  How
does that make any more sense than releasing a book under "CC-BY-SA,
for the book, and CC0 for the individual words of the book".