[OSM-talk] talk Digest, Vol 72, Issue 43

David Ellams osmlists at dellams.fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 10 09:14:27 BST 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 00:06:00 +0100, 80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why don't you try this.  Import some Ordnance Survey Street View data
> into
> OSM, then render it as a Produced Work with the ODbL required
> attribution:
>
>  "Contains information from OpenStreetMap, which is made available here
> under the Open Database License (ODbL)."
>
> Now take that rendered map and wave it under the noses of the nice people
> at
> Orndance Survey and see how long it takes them to sue you for not
> complying
> with their attribution clause.

Why don't you try this. Import some Ordnance Survey Street View data
into OSM, then render it as a Produced work with the _current_
OpenStreetMap recommended attribution:

"Map data (c) OpenStreetMap contributors, CC-BY-SA"

Now take that rendered map and wave it under the noses of the nice
people at Ordnance Survey and see how long it takes them to sue you for
not complying with their attribution clause (or at least send you a
stern lawyer's letter).

I'm not the first to say this, but is the problem not (whichever BY-SA
licence we use) that we are suggesting to people that attributing the
project is enough (rather than, say, giving the most major contributors
to the map area individual attribution). I don't know; IANAL.

David