[OSM-talk] CC-BY-SA derived ODbL data

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 11:41:12 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Jukka Rahkonen
<jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi> wrote:
> Richard gave me an idea for mixing the stew.
>
> Let's say that a user who stays with CC-BY-SA has drawn crossing streets and
> buildings around the corner. Then another user who is willing to go with ODbL
> locates some POIs by looking at the ready OSM map. Sooner or later the streets
> and buildings will disappear from the OSM-ODbL but what will happen to the POIs?
> I suppose there are folks who say that also these POIs should be deleted from
> (or not transferred to) the OSM-ODbL database because they are derived from the
> CC-BY-SA only data.
>
> How strict are we going to be with these cases? If we are going to be strict,
> how can we sort them out?

Not that strict.

If we were that strict you'd have to figure out how close something
had to be before it became derived... 2m, 10m, 50m, 500m? I don't
know.

Anyway from [1]:
"OSMF counsel does not believe that CC-BY-SA data within the database
is "viral" in this regard. The original data will have to be removed,
plus any later versions of the same element, but it is not necessary
to remove nearby or adjoining elements."

Any follow ups to legal-talk please as that is the place for this kind
of discussion.

Thanks,

Dave

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Closed_Issues#Features_touched_by_multiple_contributors.2C_not_all_of_whom_sign_up_to_new_terms