[OSM-talk] BDFL & Moderation

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 20:45:56 BST 2010

I think I figured out what's been specifically bugging me about this.

When I joined OSM about eight months ago, I knew vaguely that there was a
license change process going on, and assumed the OSMF knew what they were
doing. (I still think they know, but I now have concerns about what they're
doing.)

Later I began reading this talk mailing list, and began to understand the
issues a little better. Had it not been for certain "poisonous" threads, I
probably would have continued in my ignorance, since I had no reason to read
the legal mailing list.

So the older folks are getting annoyed with the threads. I admit that I'm
starting to get annoyed too. But we have to remember that people are just
joining now and don't have the same knowledge that we have.

This is perhaps why it seems to some to be a scheme to quash dissent - it
may not be intended that way, but it will have an effect of that sort for
new mappers. (Yes, you can argue that they don't need to know because
they've already agreed to ODBL/CT, but they have as much to lose when the
tainted data is deleted. And we still have no idea of the general extent of
that deletion.)