[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] ODBL vote (was Re: Enough is enough: disinfecting OSM from poisonous people)

MP singularita at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 12:52:14 BST 2010

>  In the specific case of the OSM database, if you wanted to start doing
> this, you would probably need to establish a per-object licensing flag. This
> would require significant code changes and I assume you're not volunteering
> to do that.

We can assume that user won't change his/her mind too often, so for
each user we need just maintain a list like:

edits from 1. 1. 2004 to 10. 12. 2008 are PD
edits from 10.12.2008 to 7. 11. 2009 are only Odbl
edits from 7. 11. 2009 to now are PD

... we get few lines in DB for this variable licensing, and not
license tag for each of user's object in database (which could be
thousands, perhaps even millions of edited primitives for very active
users)

... it is then problem of whoever wants to extract PD subset from the
data to parse this information and extract really only the PD data ...

Martin