[OSM-talk] Voluntary re-licensing begins

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Thu Aug 12 17:52:33 BST 2010

On Thursday 12 August 2010 13:45:49 David Groom wrote:
> 1)   The last sentence of clause (1) of the contributor terms requires YOU
> to have EXPLICIT permission from the rights holder.  Please consider if you
> have this EXPLICIT permission, if you do not have it then  you CAN NOT
> agree to the contributor terms
>
> 2) There is a large amount of contributors who have traced imagery from
> sources such as Yahoo

Yahoo aerial imagery is supplied under some terms (sorry too lazy to look them
up right now). Sometime in the past someone(s) from within the OSM project
asked them if tracing from those images to make a map was possible within
those terms. They answered: Yes, this is possible.

Now can somebody explain to me why this would not be explicit permission?

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus

P.S. English is not my native language and legal English, legal German, etc is
like Chinese to me.