[OSM-talk] Legal discussion on talk@

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 00:11:26 BST 2010

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Maybe we could have a weekly, or bi-weekly, "legal-talk digest" posted
> to the talk list. Written by someone who quietly observes, and perhaps
> picks a few exemplary links: "This week on legal-talk: New insights on
> the legality of mapping military areas in Russia (link), possible
> modification to contributor terms of new license to enhance CC-BY
> compatibility (link), and heated discussion about whether Steve Coast's
>   descendants can legally inerhit the BDFL title (link)."

Something similar appears to have been attempted in the German community
with the new "Wochennotiz" ( e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/osm%20dortmund/diary/11315 )

This in general summarizes the various things that have happened in the
OSM-community in the last week including the various communications channels
like the german and english forum, the german ML and the various other
mailinglists including legal-talk if it is of relevance to a wider audiance.

It then appears to then be cross-posted to the OSM diary, the forum and the
mailinglist in order to give easy access to the important information that
is spread accross the about 500 communication channels that OSM has, without
requiring everything to get posted 500 times and thus allow to keep things
focused.

So I think if something like that could be done on the English lists too,
that would help everyone to better choose what they are interested in and
what not, without missing important developments, be they legal, technical
or social.

Kai

P.S. Frederik, looks like we are getting closer to your beloved monthly
printed high gloss OSM members magazin... ;-)