[OSM-talk] Hypothetical question about objects that will not be relicensed

TimSC mapping at sheerman-chase.org.uk
Sat Aug 14 11:44:30 BST 2010

On 13/08/10 22:48, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> So would I be wrong
> to delete it and replace it with a new way, even if the new one is not
> as good as the old "tainted" one?

I strive for accuracy and completeness in mapping. However, if we are
still left between a choice of two data sources, or new data and
existing data, I don't see a problem going for the data with the most
legal certainty. Also consider the principle of "do no harm" when
considering replacing existing data - including avoiding annoyance to
other mappers. For example, I now avoid OS opendata if I can use Surrey
Aerial Surrey data or a PD map. I rarely rip out existing data, unless
it is my own.

Given the (... how can I express this without soundingly like conspiracy
theorist ...) relicensing question, I'd suggest avoid pro-actively
modifying existing data until we know more. It might do more harm than
good, depending on the outcome.

TimSC