[OSM-talk] Tagging Seamarks

Bernhard R. Fischer bf at abenteuerland.at
Sun Aug 15 22:21:12 BST 2010

Hi!

For a long time now I am interested in tagging seamarks.....(short version)

Now I found out that there are two comparable but different and competing
tagging schemes:

* http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/marine-tagging
* http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Lights_Data_Model

The first one is used by freietonne.de the second one by openseamap.org.
Consequently, there exist two disjoint marine maps.

This is extremely frustrating!
Computers do not care about attribute names and we shouldn't also as long as
both schemes fulfill the same requirements.

Why can't we just agree on one of those two schemes and change the tag names
in the renderer and rename all tags in the database from one scheme to the
other one?

Best regards,
Bernhard
aka Rahra