[OSM-talk] Walking Papers integration with OSM.org ?

Michal Migurski mike at stamen.com
Tue Aug 17 21:06:50 BST 2010

On Aug 17, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Richard Weait wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Michal Migurski <mike at stamen.com> wrote:
>> That'd be awesome. One possibility is to flesh out the REST API provided by Walking Papers, keeping it running on a separate host but making the functionality available on various OSM.org servers.
>
> Dear Mike,
>
> I'm intrigued by the idea, though I'm also wary of the resistance to
> change the OSM.org front page.  You mentioned a REST API.  What sort
> of options are possible for integrating Walking Papers with OSM sites?
> For example, is Walking Papers licensed under GPL or another license
> that would be suitable for running on the OSM servers?  Are logins
> required?

Hi,

I'm super flexible. Walking Papers is currently licensed under the GPL, so you won't have any license issues that I'm aware of. I used external libraries like Smarty (http://www.smarty.net), PEAR (http://pear.php.net), NumPy (http://numpy.scipy.org), PIL (http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil), and VLFeat (http://www.vlfeat.org).

The REST API is currently read-only: you can get information about prints and scans and so on for use in OSM editors, but I'm imagining adding ways of writing data to the site as well. I'm basically completely happy to do whatever work is necessary to make the project interoperable with other codebases.

Here's an example request:
	http://walking-papers.org/scan.php?id=3s7nsckg&type=xml

No logins are required on the site.

The service has two general halves: one is the PHP/MySQL based front end which you see at http://walking-papers.org (and http://github.com/migurski/paperwalking/tree/master/site/), the other is a Python-based daemon that handles offline tasks to generate printed maps and process scans (code at http://github.com/migurski/paperwalking/tree/master/decoder/).

I use Amazon S3 for storage of scans and other large files, but a migration to something hosted by OSMF-owned server would be fairly simple.

-mike.

michal migurski- mike at stamen.com
                 415.558.1610