[OSM-talk] Bilingual rendering for Greece

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Wed Aug 18 09:31:51 BST 2010

Maarten Deen wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:44:48 +0200, Stephan Knauss
>> So here I have a bilingual map rendering for Greece:
>> http://greece.osm-tools.org/
>> Please let me know if you consider this useful. Currently the map
>> data of *this* map is not updated.
> Very! And it would be for all other non-latin scripts too.
> It would be a nice addition if tiles were rendered in local script and
> latin and shown like that based on preference or viewer location.

I would like to see the bilingual style used in the main rendering. That
uses name:en when available.

As I was asked: The name is created using different views. Code is
available for download:
http://downloads.osm-tools.org/bilingual/

It needs a patch in mapnik. Either get the patch from trac or wait until
it's officially delivered.
http://trac.mapnik.org/ticket/584

You could set up multiple fallback languages and redirect the visitor
based on the language settings reported by the browser. Even things like
use "name:de if available, else use name:en" is possible.

> Would it be an option to put captions (up to a certain extent) on a
> different layer?
Some people tried this on Toolserver.

It's complicated because different languages take up different space on
the map. So the placement of icons is not trivial.

I have the feeling that currently it's easier to simply render the
language that's of interest.

Stephan