[OSM-talk] collection/street relation: which one to use?

Pierre-Alain Dorange pdorange at mac.com
Wed Aug 18 22:16:49 BST 2010

Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> After rereading
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Relations_are_not_Categories
> I'm going to conclude that the proper place to put address information
> is in the building data, not in the street data, and that
> associatedStreet should therefore be deprecated.

I'm not sure... for me adresss information are "connected" to street not
building, let me explain.

An adress give you the opportunity to find you way to where you want to
go (8th Adam Street).
Connecting the address to the building let you know where is the
building not from where to go there ; some situation are complex and you
don't know from what street you can go to this particular building.
Connecting to the street can make routing software easy to build the
route to go from your location to the adress and it will go the right
route (because the adress is on th street) and avoid mistake by routing
you the the back of the building (you then have to take other streets to
go to the entrance).
Of cours connecting to the street dont indicate the building exactly.

For me connecting the the street is better for routing and postal adress
(find the postbox); connecting to building is more precise in therm of
location but less useful...

--
Pierre-Alain Dorange