[OSM-talk] NearMap Community Licence and OSM Contributor Terms

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Aug 19 12:58:09 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 13:29, Pierre-Alain Dorange <pdorange at mac.com>wrote:

> Chris Browet <cbro at semperpax.com> wrote:
>
> > I, as a OSM contributor, am looking to allow free and unrestricted access
> > map data to everybody.
> > Those clauses would mean that, potentially, I wouldn't be mapping for
> > humanity but for the OSMF.
>
> You don't really map for "humanity" now, but for yourself. The actual
> licence grant YOU rights on the data you put in OSM database, the change
> is to "give" those rights the the OSMF that would represent the OSM
> community.

Agreed, but given the choice, I'd rather put my data in public domain than
to basically donate it to a specific, nebulous, entity.

> With the CCBYSA licence each contributor has rights on what i put in the
> database, so the copyright notice grants "contributors", with the new
> licence the OSMF would be granted as the "community". SO OSMF could do
> legal things if a compagny break the future licence (with the actual
> licence, no one can legal attack a compagny that wouldn't respect
> licence, because the CCBYSA do not protect data and because there is no
> "central organisation")...

But what would "breaking the license" be? Take a snapshot and closing it? I
don't care.
However, depending on the vague  definition of "free and open license", by
accepting the new CT, I'm giving the OSMF the right to do exactly that and
worse...

> > I've seen often that the reply to this argument is that we must trust
> OSMF,
> > that it will make sure OSM is under good care.
> > Honestly, in this world, who would trust a foundation whose members he
> > doesn't know personally? Even if he would, what about future members?
>
> No one can know, but there is limitations in the Licence and CT. OSMF
> can change licence to a free and open one not a closed one it can't be
> done.

They definitely need to define that, it would help. "an OSI endorsed free
and open license", maybe...

- Chris -