[OSM-talk] Place of worship

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 19 21:09:38 BST 2010

Am 19.08.2010 21:39, schrieb Frank Fesevur:
> 2010/8/19 Pierre-Alain Dorange:
>> For convent, monestary and generally religious place but not open to the
>> public there is no "official" tag. I just found a proposition (2) to tag
>> building=convent, building=monastery, buiding=seminary and even a
>> building=church (?)...
>> There is also a historic=monastery (3) but it seems to apply only to old
>> monastery not used nowday...
>
> I asked a similar question last week on the Dutch list. My question
> was how to tag a former church that is not used as a church anymore.
> There the answer was they tag them as building=church.

As I would understand it ...

building=church tells you about the building. place_of_worship tells you
about the "usage".

> Now I see there is a historic-tag, so maybe that is a better one to
> use. On the wiki historic=church is not mentioned, but could fall
> under building="User defined".

historic=church tells you that it has "some historic value". I wouldn't
use this for a church that is e.g. just 40 years old and is no longer
used for "religious purposes" now.

Regards, ULFL