[OSM-talk] Potlatch for Newbies

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Sat Aug 21 15:47:26 BST 2010

On 21 Aug 2010, at 11:55, NopMap wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am currently writing a How-To for people who have heard about OSM five
> minutes ago and whish to contribute some specific POI information. Getting
> to the point where they open Potlatch and need to click the Save or Live
> mode buttons, I have become painfully aware on how this is inviting desaster
> to happen.
>
> I am trying to interest new people. But that means sending absolutely
> clueless folks here and one wrong click at that point and they can mess up
> the area for good without even knowing it.
>
> So my questions are:
> - Why don't we disable that Live edit feature for good? I vaguely remember
> the question has been raised before, but I just can't think of any use case
> where I' need to mess up the data directly with no undo.

Potlatch2 that will at some point replace/be used in preference to Potlatch 1 only has the save mode. No live edit mode has been created.

> - If it is holy for some historic reason, why can't we put it away into a
> power user menu that is well hidden from the newcomer that definitely always
> wants and requires a way out if things go awry?

Rather than speeding time making changes to the current editor, the developers have decided to spend time on the new editor.

> - Is there a way to call Potlatch with a parameter or different URL that
> directly goes into save mode and does not show the save-or-sorry selection?

No.

> - is there any alternative if you need an editor that works online without
> the need to install anything locally?

Potlatch 2 is almost ready for the prime time. We're looking for people to test it and see what is an issue and needs to be fixed or changed to improve it. If you don't think Potlatch 2 is ready can you please explain why?

Shaun