[OSM-talk] Let's prepare to Fork OSM to a CCBYSA 2.0 continuation

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 18:54:22 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Andrew Ayre <andy at britishideas.com> wrote:

> Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
>
>  On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Felix Hartmann <
>> extremecarver at googlemail.com <mailto:extremecarver at googlemail.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>    This means we have to find a new domain, new servers, and get the
>>    usernames/passwords copied so people can login to the CCBYSA 2.0
>>    fork without new registration.
>>

>> If you must fork, fork the data (planet.osm), not the user data. I
>> disagree with having my credentials being carried over to a separate project
>> that I would not want to be involved in.
>>

> When I signed up for an account with OSM I didn't realize that my account
> information was going into a database that was also CCBYSA.
>
> Although I accept that this probably was stated somewhere, I would prefer
> to not have my login information copied. Let me choose to create an account
> if I want to.

If there is a fork then no private account data will be shared with the
fork.  The only data that will be shared is the User ID and User Name both
of which are already public.

There will be a mechanism (oAuth or similar) which will enable users to
transition from the Steve Coast OSM to any OSM fork with about three mouse
clicks.  At no time will private data ever be shared between any OSM forks.

80n