[OSM-talk] NearMap Community Licence and OSM Contributor Terms

Michael Kugelmann MichaelK_OSM at gmx.de
Mon Aug 23 00:46:04 BST 2010

Chris Browet wrote:
> The fact that many key players (SteveC, Frederik, Richard(?)) in the
> project also have commercial interests in the OSM data also make me
> nervous and doubtful.
looking at Frederik this statement sounds offending to me! HINT: I don't
want to comment on the other persons (SteveC, Richard) simpley as I'm
not in contact with them that much.
@Chris: did you ever check what Frederik or to be more precise the
Geofabrik (= Frederik + Jochen) is offering to the community? If you
would have had, you would not give a statement like that:
* look at the talk Frederik gave at the SOTM 2009 (how to earn money
with OSM) where he requests a fair (!) partnership from "commercial
companies"
* they offer processing and free download of data (download.geofabrik.de)
* they offer an amount of tools developed by themselves and hosted at
their servers (tools.geofabrik.de) who really help the community
* they generated and printed flyers for the community in Germany ans
send them out for free (!)
* they generated and printed large maps (e.g. A0 size) for the community
for use e.g. at conferences in Germany
* they provided sollutions e.g. for imports of data provided by some
communities in Germany
* they are helpfull and activeley contribute to the project (e.g.
Frederik in the Data Working Group)
* they give a lot of talks e.g. at trade shows / conferences to attract
to the project
Of cause they are not sainty [1] but they are more than fair: they could
give much less back to the community but they don't do as they are a
real "open" company from "open source persons". I would be happy if we
would have more people like Frederik and Jochen within the project!

But maybe the whole discussion should go to "legal talk".

Best regards,
Michael.

add [1]: who is sainty? I don't think anybody including myself and you
is this.