[OSM-talk] Culvert and average contributor

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 13:08:53 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Cartinus <cartinus at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> The seventy people who used the tag did not have a problem with
> understanding
> what they did.
>
> bridge=culvert is nonsense: A culvert is not a bridge.

Again, I'm not a native english speaker but It seems that "culvert" is also
used to designate a bridge. Some quick searches on internet:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Culvert_2_%28PSF%29.png
http://www.rommesmo.com/steeltruss.htm

or tunnels:
http://www.battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/culvert.htm

You always claim the "culver=yes" has been used by 70 people. But we also
have hundreds of dozen "tunnel=yes" on waterways which are probably
culverts.
My proposal is to change the wiki to tunnel=culvert (then forget the
bridge/ford). At least, this would make live easier for data consumers which
do not really care about the difference between tunnel=yes and culvert=yes
or pipe=yes or sewer=yes but could deal with tunnel=* (if we recommand
tunnel=yes/culvert/pipe/sewer)

Pieren