[OSM-talk] ODbL vs CC-by-SA pros and cons

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sun Aug 29 02:05:45 BST 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 23:44 +0100, Grant Slater wrote:

> PLEASE...
> Follow ups on legal-talk list. Thread started here:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2010-August/004221.html

Ahhhh, maybe this explains why it seems like Ive missed huge chunks of
this licence discussion.  Like a lot of OSMers, Im only subscribed to
talk@ and talk-au@ for my country specific things.  What other lists do
we have to join to be involved in these discussions that affect our
project?  The only way Ive even been partly kept up-to-date (since im
not on legal-talk) is when people post to this list, shortly before
their threads get shutdown, after everyone else who apparently isnt on
legal-talk wonders why theyre being ignored and not being kept
up-to-date with the process.

I suspect Im not the only mapper who has put their mapping activities
on-hold until these discussions can be figured out, and I know exactly
how you plan on controlling my contributed information.  Surely its not
in the interests of OSM to keep fobbing off contributors, telling them
theyre worthless, and if they want any input into the project theyre a
part of, they need to learn legalese and have it out with the wanna-be
lawyers.

Why cant we all just get along?

David