[OSM-talk] timed access restrictions and Mapnik

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon Aug 30 13:06:10 BST 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 August 2010 21:52, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
>> We recently had a bridge temporarily removed for the SAIL 2010 event
>> in Amsterdam[1].
>> I tagged it access=no with date_on and date_off time restriction tags
>> as suggested on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access, hoping
>> it would be picked up by Mapnik as well.
>> It turns out it is not and the road is still rendered as a no access
>> road even though the date_off is over a week ago. This discourages
>> tagging temporary access restrictions - could we make it so that it
>> does take date_on and date_off into account?
>
> Due to the nature of caching tiles it doesn't seem feasible to think
> temporary tagging would be handled in the way you think it should,
> however I do expect routing software might be a better place for these
> types of things to be dealt with.

While you can't take browser caching into account, in my experience
the main tile server manages to keep tiles updated fairly well these
days - good enough for one-off (non-repeating) access restrictions
with a day resolution to be rendered accurately.

Martijn

martijn van exel +++ m at rtijn.org
laziness - impatience - hubris
http://schaaltreinen.nl/