[OSM-talk] Community vs. Licensing

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 21:34:35 BST 2010

On 30 August 2010 12:11, Chris Browet <cbro en semperpax.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:02, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 en gmail.com> wrote:
>> cc-by-sa (and almost? every viral license) allows for forking as long as
>> said fork is under the same license. Note the number of Wikipedia forks
>> and
>> mirrors: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mirrors_and_forks
>>
> Ok, thanks. And it would still be possible under ODbL, would it?

ODbL is share-alike too, so yes.  And I started to think some time
ago, that such a fork will make a lot of sense considering the
facebook-style Contributor Terms osmf wants people to agree to.  It
would be a place for all the people that want share-alike and all
those that use sources that want share-alike, like those tracing from
Nearmap and a number of import sources, one of which I have used.  The
OSMF would be able to include all this data in their planet snapshots
and make accessible through OSM API, and it wouldn't diverge from the
main database.

Cheers