[OSM-talk] Can OSM sources be public domain CC-0(zero)?

Niklas Cholmkvist towardsoss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 22:46:58 BST 2010

Hello,

When I map, sometimes I add sources to my contributions. It could be a
bus route relation where I may add the GPS trace I took while riding the
bus as the source for the route. Other times if I name a street I may
use a geotagged/geolocated photo of the street sign as a source.(thus
proving that the name is the same as the one shown on the street sign)
In some cases where I want to fine-adjust the location of a geotagged
photo using for example the rendered OSM Mapnik images, will part of my
photo(or the photo in whole) become CC-BY-SA-2.0? (this question arised
after I considered making all my geotagged -in EXIF- photos public
domain CC-0-1.0-Universal)

Another question about GPS traces: When I contribute to OpenStreetMap
with my GPS traces which I upload, do they become available under any
specific license or are they just uploaded? (if they are just uploaded
then they are 'All Rights Reserved' apart from giving special permission
to the OSM project to use them)

Regards,

Niklas