[OSM-talk] Explicit tagging of name language

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 6 11:39:17 GMT 2010

Hi,

On 12/06/10 11:48, Ed Avis wrote:
> We could add per-country or per-geographical-area rules about what the 'default'
> language is.

I guess those don't have to be "added", do they? Is it not implicit that
places in France will by default have the French name in their "name" tag?

> But that seems like the wrong answer, and would give the wrong
> result in many cases.  Often, there is no sharp dividing line between one
> language area and another, so we do need to tag the language used at the level of
> individual objects, and not as a set of defaults.

My guess is that a rule like I suggested would yield the correct answer
in 99.5% of cases. The remaining 0.5% should receive special tagging
because they are the exception; I don't think we should flood the whole
database with unnecessary duplication of values. (Where would it end?
Just because occasionally a famous street in France will be known to the
English by an English name, should every single street in France thus be
tagged "name:fr=..."?)

Bye
Frederik