[OSM-talk] Explicit tagging of name language

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 11:12:11 GMT 2010

2010/12/7 Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>

> Am 07.12.2010 00:29, schrieb Kurt Roeckx:
>
>  On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 10:00:57AM +0000, Ed Avis wrote:
>>
>>> In an attempt to fix this I have asked the maintainer of
>>> <http://keepright.ipax.at/>  to add a data check.  Where a choice of
>>> languages
>>> exists for a name, then there should be one that corresponds to the main
>>> 'name' tag.  In other words for the example above there was name=Scotland
>>> but
>>> not any name:XX=Scotland.  One should be added indicating the language of
>>> this
>>> name, so that user interfaces can choose among the name:XX.  Of course if
>>> an
>>> object has just a single name tag to be used for all languages, that's
>>> fine.
>>>
>> This will atleast give bogus warnings with places like Brussels that
>> are bilingual, where name actually contains the name in both languages
>> (Dutch and French), and also has the language specific name for both
>> languages.
>>
> But that is pure tagging-for-the-renderer isn't it?
> Why should that be needed?
> Should we change Mailand (German name of Italian city) to name="Milano
> (Mailand)"? or to name="Milano (Mailand, Milan)", or should we add the
> chinese name, too, because a big part of the people in the world speak
> chinese?
>
> I think, that's nothing we should include in the name tag - even not in
> Brussels.
> Name should be a shortcut to one, best-fitting local language.
> Where that is ambiguous name should be ONE fitting, but not more than one.

 The definition of officially bilingual is that there is no ONE,
best-fitting local language. So in Brussels, everything is tagged in two
languages. Which one goes first depends on the person who is first to add it
to the map, or since French and Dutch lend themselves to it, constructs
like: Rue d'Anderlechtstraat. It would be odd to not apply this rule to the
name of the city itself.

Jo