[OSM-talk] Bing maps is misplaced

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 8 14:35:45 GMT 2010

Matt Williams wrote:
> On 8 December 2010 13:18, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
>>> you should not map from any imagery area you know nothing more about.
>>
>> If there's consensus for this view, get it documented on the wiki, and
>> call it policy.
>
> I have been under the impression that this _has_ been the policy for
> years. Certainly as long as I've been a member of the project people
> have been saying things just like this.

I have never heard of this before and have never seen it documented anywhere or
seen discussed before. The only mention of "do not trace from aerial maps" is
when it is off Google's maps because we cannot legaly use them.
Never before have I seen a mention of "do not trace from aerial maps where you
do not have local knowledge".

If you can point to previous discussions about this, that would be very helpful.
Until that, I support Steve's view completely.

Regards,
Maarten