[OSM-talk] Bing maps is misplaced

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 9 01:07:41 GMT 2010

Am 08.12.2010 23:46, schrieb davespod:
> By the way, I don't think the intention is to suggest that it is not ok to
> trace an area and then visit it to correct errors and add detail. It is when
> you are not going to do that, it is frowned upon. I can understand why. I
> have cancelled a trip to survey some lonely country lanes after someone else
> remotely traced them. Had I gone, the map would have gained POIs instead of
> just a line. But it scarcely seemed worth the trip for what might have been
> a couple of postboxes and pub, without having the satisfaction of mapping
> the roads, too, especially when there is so much else left to map. But maybe
> I'm being silly.

What the whole discussion here seems to be missing: You can't read
street names from bing (or Yahoo) imagery.

My story: I've drawn roughly 2/3 of all streets from a german city with
~100000 habitants from imagery in about a day and very slowly started to
add street names by surveying. A few weeks later, someone else had added
all the missing street names. In the meantime I know that person and he
told me, that he was able to add the street names easily but didn't had
a GPS to survey the roads, so he wasn't able to start mapping before (he
wasn't aware of the imagery possibility).

It's probably not the best idea for a newbie to use imagery to start
with OSM mapping work, but generally telling people not to draw from
imagery in remote areas reduces our possibility to effectively improve
the map.

Regards, ULFL