[OSM-talk] Open Threatened Species Map

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 9 12:55:34 GMT 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Mike  Dupont
> <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> You can help!
>> Maps wanted for Wikipedia, Commons but data available for OSM.
>> see :
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:IUCN_red_list
>
> Very strange. If I understand correctly, they want individuals to
> download a dataset, combine it with a map, and create an image, which
> they will then upload. This is a process just crying out for some
> automation isn't it?
Yes, I am sure it could be automated and helped, that Is also why I
posted this here, maybe people would like to help.

> What's worse, with no coordination, it will be very hard for people to
> contribute without duplicating existing work.

I agree, I think there could be some race condition happening.

you can see the finished maps in this category.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:IUCN_distribution_maps

see also the talk page.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:IUCN_red_list

thanks,