[OSM-talk] Massive import of airports

Blake Crosby me at blakecrosby.com
Fri Dec 17 14:28:26 GMT 2010

Hello,

I'm responsible for the massive import of airports yesterday. First of
all, I would like to apologize for its outcome.

My intention was to map some of the missing airports from OSM. My
methodology was as follows:

- Check to see what data is already in OSM. Download the data from the XAPI.
- If a node in OSM was within 0.1' of a node in the ourairports.com
data, then do not import.

As you can see there was a flaw. Not all airports in OSM have nodes,
but they use ways/areas instead.

As someone pointed out on the list, I did forget step two for a few
heliports, and had to revert. This is why you saw some duplicates
appear, then dissapear.

My second mistake was not talking to the community first, and for that I
apologize.

I was careful to ensure that the data did have the correct licence,
which can be found at www.openstreetmap.com/data/ . If I was incorrect
in assuming that Public Domain was not allowed, please let me know.

Moving forward, I will be glad to revert all my changes or I can work
with the community to improve the data quality.

Blake