[OSM-talk] Released: OpenMaps for iOS v4.0. An idea how to increase OSM awareness.

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 10:46:31 GMT 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Zsombor Szabó <zsombor at gmail.com> wrote:
> it to receive. I think I have a solution how we could expose it to more
> users with OpenMaps for iOS.
> How? Just launch OpenMaps, find your favorite bar/pub/restaurant/etc. on the
> map, tap on it (yes, in contrast with Maps you can tap on POI icons in
> OpenMaps without needing to search for them; innovative, isn't it?) and send
> out a checkin tweet. A typical tweet will look like this:
> http://twitter.com/#!/zssz/statuses/7396822796476416
> Isn't Foursquare, Gowalla and now Facebook doing something similar you ask?

Since you've asked for an explanation for our lack of response: I
guess for me this use case seems narrow and doesn't really connect
with me. No, I don't have an iDevice, nor do I use twitter to any
great extent (and I certainly wouldn't pollute it with random
"checkins"). I could be way off base, but the OSM community that I see
on these lists don't strike me by and large as the gregarious "see
where I am right now!" type.

Of course we're interested in ways to increase OSM's profile, but this
seems a rather obscure way to me. (OTOH if your post was really "Hey
we have a nice OSM app", then, cool, good to hear it).

Steve