[OSM-talk] Released: OpenMaps for iOS v4.0. An idea how to increase OSM awareness.

Zsombor Szabó zsombor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 17:01:49 GMT 2010

Guys, thanks. I can work with this feedback.

Ken:

Currently we support only Twitter.

Serge:

The goal with this sharing, commenting, checking in to OSM places on
Twitter is to create a "buzz" about OSM there and expose it to
potential new users. With that said if you open an openmaps:// link
you will be shown the whole OSM element with all of its tags in the
iOS app (OpenMaps) where you can comment on it via Twitter, calculate
the route to there, add it to your contacts, send the link to it via
email to your friends, edit its tags, etc. You get the main idea.

Dave:

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Feedback.

(I pasted my reply to Serge here)
The goal with this sharing, commenting, checking in to OSM places on
Twitter is to create a "buzz" about OSM there and expose it to
potential new users. With that said if you open an openmaps:// link
you will be shown the whole OSM element with all of its tags in the
iOS app (OpenMaps) where you can comment on it via Twitter, calculate
the route to there, add it to your contacts, send the link to it via
email to your friends, edit its tags, etc. You get the main idea.

Mike:

That's great.

If you find any issues during your testings then please report them
either on our support website http://openmaps.ideascale.com/ or
directly within the app at the Feedback tool - which basically is an
in app interface to the support site.

Steve:

The "see where I am right now!" is just a use case. Another use case
that I am convinced that would connect with you more is to be able to
see what people say about that OSM place where you are at that moment
of time. But if you don't care about reviews generated by users in
Yelp, Google Places, etc. then probably this use case doesn't connect
with you either.

Simone:

If you see a clickable openmaps:// link somewhere in an iOS app (e.g.
in Twitter for iPhone) and click on it then OpenMaps will launch and
show you that OSM place where (pasted text from above coming) you can
comment on it via Twitter, calculate the route to there, add it to
your contacts, send the link to it via email to your friends, edit its
tags, etc. You get the main idea.

Currently the Twitter website doesn't create clickable links for
custom URL schemes e.g.  mailto: or openmaps:, in our case, but I am
working with them to add support for this.

Tim:

1) Let me clarify. When users send out a checkin, comment, share tweet
about an _existing_ OSM place that tweet goes to Twitter. A sample
checkin tweet will look like this:
http://twitter.com/#!/zssz/statuses/7396822796476416
That tweet has an openmaps:// link in it. If you click on it OpenMaps
will launch and it will show you that place where (pasted text from
above coming) you can comment on it via Twitter, calculate the route
to there, add it to your contacts, send the link to it via email to
your friends, edit its tags, etc. You get the main idea.

2) Adding game element to this is challenging because of dependence on
services that we aren't control of. One must have access to Twitter's
full firehose to be able to achieve this. I am open to ideas, though.

Best regards,
Zsombor Szabo
IZE, Ltd. - http://izeize.com/