[OSM-talk] Objects versions ready for ODbL

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Mon Dec 20 02:53:31 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 11:28 +1000, Stephen Hope wrote:

> I cannot sign every edit I've ever done over, because I don't have the
> rights to do so.  I can OK many of them, however, that were based
> purely on my own work, and not CC-BY-SA sources.

I suspect this is a big issue.  Pretty much any mapper who set their
potlatch to use nearmap (ever, even just to move one node) is in the
same boat.

Even when I did use my own GPS traces and saved POI data, I used aerial
imagery to improve the accuracy when mapping into OSM.  This means that
even work I have done myself, I dont know if I have the rights to sign
over, because when adding something to the map I had both my traces and
aerial imagery overlayed.

Because of the impossibility to be able to distinguish whats what, any
user who has ever made a change in this situation will have to have all
their edits removed from the system, to avoid any possibility that one
edit might infringe the rights of another source.

David