[OSM-talk] Massive import of airports

Mon Dec 20 05:59:30 GMT 2010

I reviewed the subject airport imports in southern CA.

I'm surprised that there were only 16 imports in bbox=-122,33,-115,38 given
the mentioned 23000 nodes total. Must be other parts of the world that were
not well-covered?

They are all private facilities, and I tagged them access=private. This is
probably why they were missing from earlier imports to begin with. One of
the heliport was non-existent, while others were mis-placed by up to 100m.
Also, none of them had identifiers (probably as a result of being small,
private facilities unknown to ICAO & IATA), though I was able to find FAA
identifiers for them.

There is a lot more useful info available in the FAA datasheets, like
runway elevations/slopes/weight limits, airport elevation, magnetic
variation, fuels, etc. Is anyone interested in or working on this? It would
be relatively simple to scrape from the FAA datasheets or imports them from
their dataset if available.