[OSM-talk] Released: OpenMaps for iOS v4.0. An idea how toincrease OSM awareness.

Zsombor Szabó zsombor at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 17:43:02 GMT 2010

Simone:

At the moment we focus on Twitter only. So if we get Twitter to make
clickable links in the statuses on the website for custom URI schemes
(mailto, ftp, openmaps, etc.) other than http and https then it is a
step in the right direction. Twitter for iPhone for example, the
official app, supports the openmaps URI scheme and you can tap on
those links to view the OSM places with the OpenMaps application.

Tim:

You can view a short demo of OpenMaps 4.0 on YouTube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVnybxwhis4
The map editing feature is demoed briefly, too. You will get the main
idea on the workflow.

Cartinus:

Tell your coworker that the iPad/Universal version is coming in January 2011. ;)

Katie, Adam, Steve:

Since Apple doesn't let the developers to address iTunes reviewers'
claims, people can write practically anything there without any
consequences. Let me assure you that downloading map tiles that you
can view when you are offline works. In fact, you can try out this
offline feature with the free version, too. Just browse the map for a
bit, disconnect from the network, and you will notice that you can
view the previously browsed areas. This is possible because OpenMaps
caches the map tiles for 7 days that you previously viewed.

Less technical people, for some reason, think that offline maps means
also offline search. Well, that isn't included. And I understand their
frustration stating that offline maps doesn't work in their point of
view.

We have a nice comparison table between OpenMaps and OpenMaps Pro over
our product site: http://izeize.com/openmaps/
In short: OpenMaps Pro = OpenMaps with all in app purchase features included.

Best regards,
Zsombor Szabo
IZE, Ltd. - http://izeize.com/