[OSM-talk] OSM server on a (Ubuntu) VM?

Arlindo Pereira openstreetmap at arlindopereira.com
Tue Dec 21 15:14:13 GMT 2010

Yes, the idea is to create a VM with the database and the render, then
upload the files to regular Apache server I already got on a shared host.
Therefore, it'd be no problem if it becomes slow, after the rendering this
wouldn't make difference, since the VM wouldn't be exposed as a server to
the internet.

The wiki page mentions the import of planet.osm. Since I'm going to work
with other data, can I just create a sketch on JOSM them import it or should
I use anything else like the planet boundary? I really need only Rio de
Janeiro's downtown bbox, so anything else would be a waste of database
space/rendering time.

Thanks a lot!

Arlindo "Nighto" Pereira