[OSM-talk] Converting buildings from nodes to ways

Fri Dec 24 02:14:43 GMT 2010

At 2010-12-23 04:10, Laurence Penney wrote:
>I've been 'exploding' several building nodes into ways, based on splendid
>Bing imagery for Bristol.

It is nice, isn't it? I've been lucky enough to have 25/30cm imagery from
USGS in most of my area, but this 6cm stuff is awesome. And cheers to the
implementation for JOSM - it's incredibly fast and agile. Truly an
important step for OSM.

>  I'm getting concerned about data loss, the fact that any external
> database accumulating information on such vulnerable nodes, e.g. [1],
> will only with difficulty and guesswork be able to match it to the way
> that replaced it.

I favor using the existing node as part of the new way, then removing the
tags from it. This preserves its history. However, I don't believe people
should ever count on OSM IDs to be at all permanent - they aren't designed
to be. There was a long discussion a while ago about using GUIDs for that
if necessary.