[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Feb 1 16:33:38 GMT 2010

NopMap wrote:
> Hi!
>

> Kai Krueger wrote:
>
>> Even if promoting to the company did not work, it might still be worth
>> promoting OSM in the media coverage / blogs of the Nav4All shutdown as a
>> reason why it is important to have free and open map data to prevent
>> anti-competitive activities by a few large companies.
>>

> I am fully aware that many people will not want to hear that - but why
> promote something that OSM cannot deliver? I can understand why Nav4All will
> rather shutdown than attempt to switch to OSM.
>
> A while ago, I had approached another company which produces mobile
> navigation software, where I know some people. I tried to advertise OSM data
> and maybe get some support for their software. To my great surprise, they
> had spent a considerable sum of money on converting OSM data into their
> format and had already evaluated it. The result of the evaluation was
> disillusioning: The geometry is pretty good, but the attribution is way
> below what would be required to substitute the commercial data. They decided
> to not use it, in spite of the work already invested.
I've been saying this since the first week I start working in OSM.
I was basically told to shut up by people here claiming that OSM was a
database with foibles & that the maps providers would have to sort out
themselves; they could take it or leave it.

Sounds like they're leaving it - VERY disillusioning.

Dave F.