[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 1 19:03:53 GMT 2010

Hi,

NopMap wrote:
> OSM is quite suitable for any hobby project, but I believe that the
> anarchistic nature and the often controversial and sometimes disputed and
> chaotic tagging are reason enough to deter the use of OSM in any
> professional area where you are talking about warranties.

I don't think that the line is between "hobby" and "professional".

OSM with their volunteers does one kind of mapping, and TeleAtlas with
their vans does another kind of mapping. Each has its own distinctive
advantages. There are professional users wo spend money on OSM data when
they *already have* TeleAtlas data.

The commercial maps have fixed tagging schemes, minimum quality
standards and only accept trained personnel as mappers. They have long
turnaround times and cost a lot of money to maintain. At OSM we have no
fixed tagging schema, no minimum quality standards, and anyone can map.
We have super fast turnaround times and cost nothing to maintain.
Different approaches - different results. Not worse or better; different.

I don't see how you could have the advantages without the disadvantages.
Add a fixed tagging scheme and peer review to OSM and you get more
quality but less data and longer turnaround times; before long you are
TeleAtlas v2.0 and have to charge for maps to pay your mappers because
nobody does it for fun any more.

So, yes, in my eyes the approach is really "take it or leave it", and if
someone decides he'd rather use TeleAtlas or Navteq then by all means,
let him do it. I don't know why Dave F finds this "VERY disillusioning";
what was his illusion then? For OSM to rule the world? I think the world
is much better of with a few map datasets following different approaches
that with a "one size fits all" dataset.

Bye
Frederik