[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 20:38:29 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Igor Brejc <igor.brejc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Frederik,
>
> All this is true, but.... I think we are too concentrated on generating
> content (i.e. mapping) as opposed to actually using this data for some
> meaningful purpose. I guess this is natural, since majority of OSM users
> are mostly map data producers, and only the minority is actively
> involved in map "consuming".
>
> It is right that we are all concentrating on creation of content.  But,
what we haven't had yet is any commercial map data consumers  telling us
what they need.  Well, in a way, maybe Nav4All is telling us what it
needs... and I sometimes hear Cloudmade banging on about routing.

It would be interesting to have some map consumer tell us what their minimum
mapping needs.  Statements like "OSM has been looked at but is no solution
because there is no full coverage" don't help us to provide what they need.

While mappers might be uncomfortable to mark out an area and tag it with
ok_for_Nav4All=yes, I think I would be happy to mark out areas with
road_network=complete and cycle_network=complete, based on some definition
provided by someone who would actually use that information.

Come on guys tell us what you need.

80n