[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Mon Feb 1 23:13:30 GMT 2010

El Lunes, 1 de Febrero de 2010, 80n escribió:
> It is right that we are all concentrating on creation of content.  But,
> what we haven't had yet is any commercial map data consumers  telling us
> what they need.  Well, in a way, maybe Nav4All is telling us what it
> needs... and I sometimes hear Cloudmade banging on about routing.

The problem with this is the "sofixit" response.

OSM works like many other open-source projects, where someone says: "Hey, X is
bad" - and a developer replies "Yeah, and this is open source, so fix it".

The OSM community works the same way. I'm not going to work for a company just
because they ask for it very nicely. Dammit, if a company wants me to fix OSM
in some way, I could as well get paid for that!

Maybe the time is coming for the business model in where I get OSM data, fork
it, fix it in some way, and stamp a "certified technicial-approved version"
on the cover. For just a couple grand.

You want OSM to comply with certain quality standards? Well, either invest in
that, or pay for that. But it's not gonna magically come from the users.

Cheers,
--

Un ordenador no es un televisor ni un microondas, es una herramienta compleja.