[OSM-talk] Tagging Multiple Services to a Company/Building

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 04:54:33 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Ian Mc Shane <ianmcshane at live.co.za> wrote:

> 1)  Do you want all that detail?

Yes please :)

> For example a town/suburb website using OSM data for geo-location of
> businesses in the area would have their own database of what each business
> provides in terms of services and products...

But I don't have my own database - I want to use the OSM database...

> This can be noted in an example such as a Delicatessen... they range from
> small subset of specific foods to a whole range of different products but we
> can't detail what they sell categorically as product categories can change
> rapidly.

So does the road network :P Put it in OSM if:
1) it refers to a specific latitude and longitude
2) it's a verifiable fact
3) you want to

Whether or not it's likely to go out of date quickly is not relevant -
it just means we need more mappers...

> 2)  Assuming yes, how to denote the detail:
>
> For instance, tanning=yes, does that mean a spa provides tanning services or
> is it related to a factory that tans leather?

Well...before you decide to use tanning=yes, check if it's already
used (tagwatch, wiki, etc.).
If not, go ahead and use it - and document your use of it on the wiki.
If someone comes along later to tag a factory, they'll need to choose
their tag carefully, and update the documentation accordingly.

Basically - for tag definitions, rely on the wiki.

> With all that said, going the route of:
> shop=beauty
> beauty=tanning
> beauty=massage
> etc.

The problem is that you can only have one value per key, i.e. you
could only have beauty=tanning OR beauty=massage.

An alternative is to use something like a "namespace" concept. Have a
look at how to tag amenity=parking's:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Parking.  Notice the tags
capacity:disabled=*, capacity:parent=*, etc.

If you want to use this kind of scheme for the beauty example, I guess
you could probably use:
shop=beauty
beauty:tanning=yes
beauty:massage=yes
etc.

But this probably isn't necessary in this case. I'd be happy either
way, as long as it's documented on the wiki... :)