[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Feb 3 10:16:31 GMT 2010

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> this is valid for England and maybe Scotland and Wales (and
> probably some other countries), but it is not working on a
> worldwide basis. Your definition would in most of central Europe
> not be functioning: routers would lead pedestrians in areas
> where they are not allowed to walk (cycleways). Nobody would
> tag them with foot=no because it's obvious ;-) that you can't
> walk there. foot=yes would be the exception.

Um, yes, I do know the rules vary between countries.

There are two ways you can handle that.

Firstly, like I say, you can accept that highway=cycleway implies foot=yes
and bicycle=yes. Which it does for exactly the same reason that the tags are
in English, the server code is in Ruby and this mailing list is called
"talk" rather than "frogs": the chap who got there first decides. And your
argument that people won't tag "highway=cycleway; foot=no" but will tag
"highway=path; bicycle=designated; foot=no" is batshit insane.

Or, you can agree that highway=cycleway will mean something different in
Germany to the UK. No-one is stopping you from doing this. And, funnily
enough, it's exactly what we do with most other values for the highway tag:
   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway#International_equivalence

> When you write about meaning you should keep in mind that
> what seems obvious for you isn't for someone with a different
> background, but he might rather think that the opposite is obvious.

When you write you should make strenuous efforts to be not quite so
patronising. :p

cheers
Richard