[OSM-talk] Playing tagging democracy: standard building process and tag unifying towards it

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 15:49:01 GMT 2010

On 3 February 2010 15:38, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> John Smith wrote:
> > No but it's a carrot, most people most of the time are only going to
> > map what they can see turn up on mapnik.
> >
> This point is correct, & to bring the thread back to on topic, OSM is
> best promoted, not by word of mouth as some have said, but by
> visualization & mouth.
>
> People will tell their friends about OSM when they see a working map not
> when present with a long list of XML data.
>
> This won't happen if none of the map creators are taking the data
> because they think it's crap.

I kind of disagree with you on that one. People will use data because it is
there. I know several people in commercial environment who don't care that
much about how the map is looking. They care about what the database is full
of, like administrative boundaries, town location, POI etc....
You are just taking one point of view, but yours is not unique.
I am using the data for commercial use, and I couldn't care less about a map
rendering. I can recognize the fact that the data is much richer even if I
don't see a point being rendered. It all depends on what you are trying to
do with the data. If you want beautiful map, then have a look at some of the
rendering that companies like Cloudmade have. They provide some very nice
map. I have been promoting OSM not by its map (even though showing the map
help) but for its data.

Emilie Laffray