[OSM-talk] Tagging Multiple Services to a Company/Building

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 07:15:44 GMT 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Ian Mc Shane <ianmcshane at live.co.za> wrote:

> From what I understand the openstreetmap.org map is purely for show and not
> meant to be THE place to view all the data... its up to other groups to show
> what they want e.g. cloudmade, cyclemap, etc...

Yup, this is absolutely right. Data first, users (including renderers!) second.

> Maybe one day we will have "pipemap.org" showing us the world of pipes that
> live beneath our world but that is up to "pipemap.org" and not necessarily
> openstreetmap.org

Funny you should mention that, because it already exists!:
http://elanor.mine.nu/daeron/kartat.php?zoom=16&lat=60.19553&lon=24.95806&layers=0000B000000

> I found it documented here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FAQ#What_shall_I_do_for_roads_that_have_multiple_values_for_a_tag.3F.

Ah, well spotted.

> Multiple values separated by semicolons by far seems to me the simplest way
> to denote multiple values for a single key with less worry that keys will be
> overused.

I guess. There's advantages and disadvantages to both approaches.

> Thanks for the feedback so far, it has been a learning experience.

No problem :) Oh, by the way, I just noticed that this thread has been
on talk at openstreetmap.org. In future, for tagging-related stuff,
please post to tagging at openstreetmap.org (so those uninterested in
tagging threads can ignore them). Cheers.