[OSM-talk] Request for user block

MP singularita at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 14:43:47 GMT 2010

On 04/02/2010, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 February 2010 21:02, Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>  > This of course comes after blocking on email address proves ineffective.
>  > And we even have blacklists for blocking certain "get for free e-mail"
>  > domains from ever registering.
>
> I've dealt with this on a project before in a similar manner, I can't
>  say with any certainty how well it worked but the problems we were
>  thought might occur due to abuse so far to date haven't come into
>  fruition. Going down this path did cause extra labour as we've had a
>  number requests to allow free domain emails because their ISP didn't
>  offer email addresses, so this could potentially increase labour,
>  allowing individual email addresses and/or just replying to emails
>  about it.

There are many small cheap ISP's here who don't give email addresses
at all (you have freemail, so there is not great demand on this
service), some of larger ISP's  have their own freemail and they give
paid customers also emails from same domain, so essentially, same
situation as freemail (anybody can get freemail).
Some ISP's give email account for extra money or their account is so
limited, that it is basically useless (1 MB mailbox, etc ...)

Also, some "better" ISP's will give you more than one mailbox
(sometimes you can get dozens of mailboxes, sometimes "only" aliases,
sometimes real mailboxes, often you can remove unused aliases and
create new ones, so the amount of mail accounts is practically
infinite), so even blocking nonfree emails may not always work.

I don't think this is good idea. While this would reduce chance of
some idiots for signing up for new account if they are blocked, this
would affect also many innocent people who have just their freemail
account and some people may still get around this quite easily.

I think blocking IP addresses would be more effective (with most ISP's
you get only one), though the block should be applied carefully and
probably not permanently (shared or dynamic IP's) I think similar
blocking scheme that is on wikipedia (when blocking IP's you can
choose whether to block also already registered accounts or not,
whether to block creation of new accounts and you can choose block
duration) should be good enough.

Martin