[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Thu Feb 4 16:05:11 GMT 2010

Philip Homburg wrote:

>>> Huh?
>>>
>> Please take that in context with its following sentence. Can you show me
>> a router that can get me door to door no matter where I live?
>>

> If the data is not 100% complete and accurate it is useless?
>
> Get real.

Realizing that the database isn't up to the job it was designed for is
getting real, instead of stick heads in the sand & pretending it's not
happening.

> I just tried the Google maps app. on my G1 to get home from work by
> bike. It was horrible. The app itself is horrible, and the map is bad:
> bike paths are not there.
>
> In contrast, openstreetmap data gets me there by car and bike. The lack of
> house numbers is annoying though. So it is not door to door, but street to
> street. And for me that is good enough.

But not good enough for others evidently.

Comparing with Google is irrelevant.
Even if Google were 100% accurate, OSM would still have been rejected by
the organizations mentioned.

> And yes, the situation is not as bright in other countries. But I think it
> is pointless to wait until OSM has 100% perfection everywhere to start using
> it.

You seem to be missing point. We've been told that they don't want to use it