[OSM-talk] Fwd: Nav4All navigation shut down by Navteq

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Fri Feb 5 00:24:01 GMT 2010

Philip Homburg wrote:
> In your letter dated Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:05:11 +0000 you wrote:
>
>> Philip Homburg wrote:
>>
>>> If the data is not 100% complete and accurate it is useless?
>>>
>>> Get real.
>>>
>> Realizing that the database isn't up to the job it was designed for is
>> getting real, instead of stick heads in the sand & pretending it's not
>> happening.
>>

>>> I just tried the Google maps app. on my G1 to get home from work by
>>> bike. It was horrible. The app itself is horrible, and the map is bad:
>>> bike paths are not there.
>>>
>>> In contrast, openstreetmap data gets me there by car and bike. The lack of
>>> house numbers is annoying though. So it is not door to door, but street to
>>> street. And for me that is good enough.
>>>
>> But not good enough for others evidently.
>>

> I guess it's to bring out the duck again: If it looks like a map, swims like
> a navigation system and quacks turn instructions, then it probably is a
> pratical navigation system.

Unfortunately it seems we're being told it quacks like a turkey.

> I don't care about all the companies that don't want to use OSM.

I think that's a pointless crass statement.

> I am very greatful to the contributers all over the world that made OSM into
> a practical navigation system for me. Whether or not we tag cycleways
> correctly, what else the database isn't up to.
>
> Of course, if any of those companies want to work with OSM to improve the
> system then we should take a look at that.

That appears to contradict your "I don't care..." statement. However
it's a very good point:

I realize most people have fallen asleep on this thread, but did anyone
get a detailed report on why OSM was rejected?